I am really putting myself out there with this one.
Hey Coach. (Submission: Kelsey)
I love it because it says coach!
SO yea. Im on here like never…
Work has been fine. Winter break was amazing and I really needed it. Although I am now at the point where I dont know which day it is and in which week. It comes with the territory I suppose.
Basketball is good. We have won 1 game and lost 1. It is awesome considering last year the girls only won 3games all season… We have great potential and a passionate pair of coaches. :D
Wow tumblr. It has been a while.
Well- It has been quite a while. I wish I was better at updating this thing this school year. When I get home from work, I am really bogged down some personal things I have going on in my life.
Work is reallt stressful too. I feel like the expectations placed on teachers this year (at least at my school) is ridiculous and impossible. I am a special ed teacher, not a wizard. And as much as I would like to, I cannot move mountains. Especially when the kids aren’t always willing…
BUT- on a more positive note—- I LOVE coaching basketball. It is a nice break away from my sped students. We lost out first game by only 4 points!!!!! The we WON our second game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, winning for out team is a massive feat, for those of you who was not at any of out many lost games last year. I am one proud coach.
ALSO- I am on winter break. Now, I thought I would have time to relax and my stress level would go down… it hasn’t yet. i am hoping that once CHristmas happens I will finally be able to breathe. :)
Start of the second year
Yea- I have been sucking at keeping up this school year.
Lots going on in life… hmmm. Where to start.
Work is a pain in the butt but I am coaching girls basketball and I LOVE it. It seriously keeps me wanting to go to work. I think we have a pretty solid team though our teams in the past have been known on campus for not being the best. Either way, the girls are AWESOME. and they call me coach. Best. title. ever.
The most amazing moment I have had as a teacher
well it has been a while but I am back.
Here is a recap of my 2nd year of teaching, thus far:
- Still the youngest on staff. :D
- My 8 grade class is ridiculous. Their behavior… I can’ even get into it right now.
- A teacher told me I was one of the best SPED teachers at the school.
- My supervisor is still bragging about the awesome things I did last year.
- I am no longer teaching Read 180 but am expected (I think) to teach straight curriculum in my resource class.
- I am the girls basketball coach and we start in 2 weeks with conditioning.
- My facilitator said I am fun when not stressed… GOAL: be more fun and less stressed.
- I can really feel the pieces fitting together this year in a way that I could never fit them together last year.
- I have all new ideas.
Last period of the school year. Last 2 minutes of class. I’m chatting with my students and one of my 8th graders asks,” Ms. Freer, could I get a hug from you.”
I was shocked. But I love my 8th graders so much of course I said yes. The bell rang and we did one of those side hugs that middle schoolers do… then another 8th grader comes up to me and gives me a hug too! NOT JUST ANY KID. This kid hates the school, hates reading, and for most of the year has had a piss-poor attitude.
AND HE GAVE ME A HUG.
My heart melted into a big puddle of teacher goo.
Best. Moment. All. Year.
Sidenote: This kid also said I was the coolest teacher he had in his life. :) AND he wrote that in my yearbook.
I hope they come to visit next year…
Things I’ve learned about teaching…
1. Kids are smart… Even the least of them.
2. Something as simple as swag can stay in your memory the longest.
3. Kids remember all your embarrassing moments
4. Adults forget them.
5. Lesson plans are stupid.
6. Teachers like to eat.
7. Students like to eat.
8. The year is shorter than you think.
9. It’s not always about the test.
10. Keep the beginning in mind as you approach the end and you’ll see how much your kids have grown.
11. Everyone talks to everyone, students and teachers alike.
12. It’s ok to mess up.
13. Everyone messes up.
14. Students are forgiving and loving.
15. The students don’t know that you don’t know what you are doing, that you didn’t read all their papers, and that you came up with your lesson 5 min before class.